Virat Kohli is one of the greatest batsmen of all time, and he showed it once again with his masterclass at Eden Gardens in the World Cup 2023 match against South Africa.
Kohli came in to bat with India after Rohit’s wicket, at 62/1. And he showed his class and composure to dig deep and bat out of his skin. He scored 101 runs off 121 balls, including 10 fours, to help India post a mammoth total of 326 runs on the board.
Kohli’s innings was all the more remarkable considering the conditions. The Eden Gardens pitch was getting drier with each over, and the South African bowlers were bowling with great discipline. But Kohli was up for the challenge. He played some exquisite shots on the off-side, and he also used his feet well to get to the pitch of the ball.
Kohli’s innings was also a testament to his mental toughness. He has been under a lot of pressure in recent times, but he has always managed to bounce back. His Eden Gardens masterclass is a reminder that he is still the best batter in the world.
Some of the key aspects of Kohli’s innings that showed why he is the best batter in the world
- Adaptability: Kohli adapted his game to the conditions of the Eden Gardens pitch, which was getting drier with each over. He played more off-side shots and used his feet well to get to the pitch of the ball.
- Discipline: Kohli showed great discipline throughout his innings. He didn’t try to force the pace, and he waited for the loose balls to come to him.
- Rotation of strike: Kohli rotated the strike well, which helped him to build partnerships and keep the scoreboard ticking.
- Shot selection: Kohli played some exquisite shots during his innings. He hit some beautiful drives and cover drives, and he also used his feet well to hit some sixes over mid-wicket.
- Finishing ability: Kohli finished the innings with a flourish, scoring 50 runs in the last 10 overs. This helped India to post a mammoth total on the board.
Overall, Kohli’s innings was a masterclass in batting. He showed how to adapt to different conditions, how to be patient and disciplined, and how to finish games with a flourish.
Indian Batsman who made Centure on his Birthday
There have been only a handful of Indian batsmen who have scored a century on their birthday in international cricket. The most famous of these is Sachin Tendulkar, who scored a century against Australia in the 1998 Coca-Cola Cup final on his 25th birthday.
Other Indian batsmen who have scored centuries on their birthdays include:
- Vinod Kambli (1993 vs England)
- Sanath Jayasuriya (2008 vs Bangladesh)
- Virat Kohli (2023 vs South Africa)
It is a rare and special achievement to score a century on one’s birthday, and it is a testament to the skill and determination of these batsmen.
ND vs SA Score Card
ND vs SA Score Card: Team India defeated South Africa by 243 runs. The South African team’s game was wrapped up by the Indian bowlers at a mere score of 83 runs. This is South Africa’s lowest score in this tournament so far. Their players failed to chase the 327-run target set by India as India kept taking regular wickets.
Kohli’s Eden Gardens masterclass was a reminder of why he is considered to be one of the greatest batsmen of all time. He is a player who can adapt his game to any conditions, and he is always up for a challenge. He is also a player who can finish games, and he is always looking to score big.
Kohli’s innings was also a significant boost for India’s World Cup campaign. India is one of the favorites to win the tournament, and Kohli’s form will be crucial to their success. If Kohli can continue to perform at a high level, India will be very difficult to beat.